Plan Your Visit
In December 2004, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Ailey II, and The Ailey School moved to their permanent home at The Joan Weill Center for Dance, located at 405 West 55th Street (at 9th Avenue) in Manhattan. In 2017, the Center was expanded and renovated with the creation of the Elaine Wynn & Family Education Wing, which includes four additional rehearsal studios and two academic classrooms.
In total, this beautiful glass-encased building – the largest building dedicated to dance in New York City – now houses 16 climate-controlled studios equipped with sprung floors, pianos, sound systems and state-of-the-art acoustics; the fully-equipped, 275-seat Ailey Citigroup Theater; physical therapy facilities; the Ailey Boutique; a library; student and faculty lounges; and administrative offices for the entire Ailey organization.
Located in New York City's midtown west area, the Ailey Studios are easily accessible by public transportation.
We are located on the northwest corner of 55th Street and 9th Avenue.
- 1, A, B, C or D trains to the 59th Street/Columbus Circle station.
- N, R, Q or W trains to the 57th Street-7th Avenue station.
- C or E trains to the 50th Street station (at 8th Avenue).
- M57 bus crosstown to 57th Street and 9th Avenue.
- M11 bus downtown to 55th Street and 9th Avenue.
By Commuter Train
- Long Island Rail Road - transfer to the uptown 1, A, or C trains to the 59th Street/Columbus Circle station.
- New Jersey Transit - transfer to the uptown A or C trains to the 59th Street/Columbus Circle station.
- Metro North - take the Shuttle or 7 train from Grand Central to Times Square, then transfer to the uptown A or C trains to the 59th Street/ Columbus Circle station.
Ailey does not have a dedicated parking garage. However, the area does support numerous options, including:
- Rapid Park: 411 West 55th Street (right next door to the Ailey building, on the same side of the street)
- Central Parking System: 345 West 58th Street (between 8th and 9th Aves)
- 330 West Fifty Six Corporation: 330 West 56th Street (between 8th and 9th Aves)
- Imperial Parking: 300 West 55th St (at 8th Ave)
- Icon Parking Systems: 815 10th Ave (at 54th St.)
We have many options for groups of 10 or more visiting the Ailey School, including private classes, participation in regular open classes, class observations, tours of the building, and discounts to see Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.
Our Group Coordinator will work with you to create a unique Ailey group experience tailored to your needs, whether you are a private dance studio or a corporation looking for an entertaining offsite activity. Classes are available for students of varying levels and can be customized to accommodate your specifics and interests.
Group Packages and Options
Rates below are provided as an example only. Your group coordinator will work with you to plan a personalized event for your group interests and budget.
- 60-minute class: approx $31/person
- 90-minute class: approx $35/person
- add a 30-minute tour of our world-class facility: $8/person
- add an observation of an Ailey class: $8/person
- add tickets to an Ailey performance in NYC: $60-$125/person
Available Dance Techniques
- Graham-based modern
- Theater Dance
- Hip Hop
- West African
- Pilates Mat
Planning Your Visit
- Submit the Group Request Form in the sidebar at least 4 weeks prior to your planned visit. Our group coordinator will contact you.
- Review your personalized itinerary.
- Make Full Payment. Full payment is due three weeks prior to your scheduled visit's arrival. At that time, the group coordinator will contact you to finalize any additional options and details.
There are no refunds after final payment, which is due three weeks prior to arrival. Cancellation of any group visit package will incur a cancellation fee.
Reservations must be made in advance for tours of The Ailey School's home at The Joan Weill Center for Dance. We look forward to your visit.
General Building Tours
General building tours are held Mondays at 1:30pm and Fridays at 12:00pm.
Ailey/Fordham B.F.A. Program Tours
Applicants to the B.F.A. program are encouraged to tour The Ailey School facilities and studios. Tours are available by appointment only, Monday through Friday, during the academic year and the summer.
Reservations must be made in advance. To make a reservation for a tour/information session, please email us or call 212-405-9124.
For a general information session and tour of Fordham University, visit Fordham University's website for more details.
For general inquires, please call 212-405-9000 or use the Contact Us form below.
The Joan Weill Center for Dance
405 West 55th Street (at 9th Avenue)
New York, NY 10019
If you're interested in booking Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater or Ailey II for future performances, please contact the following:
North American Agent
Opus 3 Artists
470 Park Avenue South, 9th Fl North, New York, NY 10016
Askonas Holt Ltd.
Lincoln House, 300 High Holborn, London WC1V 7JH, United Kingdom
Jonathan Fleming, Senior Project Manager