"I will not use the word can't to define my possibilities."
Alvin Ailey believed that “dance is for everybody,” and was especially dedicated to using dance to enhance the lives of underserved children. AileyCamp represents a vital continuation of Alvin Ailey’s vision, using the power of dance to enrich and positively alter the lives of children.
Atlanta, GA — June 6 – July 15
Baltimore, MD — June 20 - July 15
Berkeley, CA — June 27 – Aug 5
Chicago, IL — July 5 - August 12
Kansas City, MO — June 6 - July 14
Kansas City, KS — June 1 - July 10
Miami, FL — June 27 - August 6
New York, NY — July 5 - August 12
Newark, NJ — July 5 - August 12
Seattle, WA — June 27 – Aug 5
The AileyCamp curriculum includes:
- Daily technique classes in ballet, Horton-based modern dance, jazz and tap or West African
- Personal development classes: goal setting, nutrition, conflict/resolution, career development and self-image
- Creative communications classes: with performance techniques, deepen the students' awareness of their potential for self-expression
AileyCamp Too! is a special follow-up program for campers to reinforce and expand upon the meaningful experience of the summer program.
"The most important moment in a child's education is the 'crystallizing experience' -- the experience that helps a young person focus, engage and deeply connect to something he or she cares about." —Howard Gardner, noted educator
AileyCamp offers two fun-filled six-week summer day camps (beginning early July and ending in mid-August - AileyCamp New York and AileyCamp Newark) where young people ages 11-14 learn to dance and explore their creativity. The program helps youth develop their self-confidence in an atmosphere of warmth, respect and trust. Campers take dance classes from experienced teaching artists in popular styles such as West African, jazz, ballet, tap and the Lester Horton technique (which is the basis of many of Alvin Ailey’s works). Campers also participate in workshops to build leadership and communication skills and enjoy a variety of athletic and social activities.
The AileyCamp is looking for dedicated, hands-on interns who want to make a difference in a child’s life while learning the administrative responsibilities of running a summer day camp. The internship runs through the summer and will require 28-35 hours per week/Monday – Friday (4-5 days). All interns are required to attend a 3-day orientation prior to the start of AileyCamp.
- Office and day-to-day tasks related to AileyCamp including collect daily attendance
- Manage AileyCamp phone lines including taking messages and returning calls
- Assist campers with class content, dance skills, choreography and activities as needed in classes
- Attend camp classes and activities with an assigned group (at least 3 days) Monday – Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Participate in lunch duty, free periods, field trip days and general supervision of campers
- Document AileyCamp with video and photography
- Assist faculty members as needed in the creation of the end-of-camp performance i.e. participate in rehearsals, preparation and day-of-final performance activities
AileyCamp Interns will be supervised by the Group Leader, both reporting to the AileyCamp Co-Directors, and the AileyCamp interns’ primary role will be to assist campers with class content, dance skills, choreography & activities as needed. Group Leaders will assist dance instructors or facilitators with classroom management, monitor camper’s behavior, act as a liaison between campers, faculty members, Guidance Counselor & Ailey Camp Directors with assistance from the AileyCamp Intern as needed.
Ailey Camp Interns & Group Leader will be required to participate in a background check, including but not limited to federal and sex offender checks, finger printing, and courses required for certification.
To Apply, please provide:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in an internship at AileyCamp
- Resume & Contact information of two references
Please send all materials by email to: AIEjobs@alvinailey.org and in the subject line indicate you are applying for AileyCamp Intern.
If your resume is selected you will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls or mail submissions please.