"I will not use the word can't to define my possibilities."
Alvin Ailey believed that “dance is for everybody,” and was especially dedicated to using dance to enhance the lives of underserved children. AileyCamp represents a vital continuation of Alvin Ailey’s vision, using the power of dance to enrich and positively alter the lives of children.
Atlanta, GA — June 3 – July 10
Baltimore, MD — June 29 - July 10
Berkeley, CA — June 22 – July 31
Kansas City, MO — June 1 - July 10
Kansas City, KS — June 1 - July 10
Miami, FL — June 22 - August 1
New York, NY — July 6- August 14
Newark, NJ — June 29 - August 7
The AileyCamp curriculum includes:
- Daily technique classes in ballet, Horton-based modern dance, jazz and tap or West African
- Personal development classes: goal setting, nutrition, conflict/resolution, career development and self-image
- Creative communications classes: with performance techniques, deepen the students' awareness of their potential for self-expression
AileyCamp Too! is a special follow-up program for campers to reinforce and expand upon the meaningful experience of the summer program.
"The most important moment in a child's education is the 'crystallizing experience' -- the experience that helps a young person focus, engage and deeply connect to something he or she cares about." —Howard Gardner, noted educator
During the summer months, AileyCamp looks for for dedicated, hands-on interns who want to make a difference in a child’s life while learning the administrative responsibilities of running a summer day camp. Interns for the Newark and New York City AileyCamps are coordinated by Ailey’s Arts In Education & Community Programs department and are given assigned responsibilities by the National AileyCamp Director. The internship runs through the summer and will require 28-35 hours per week/Monday – Friday (4-5 days). All interns are required to attend a 3-day orientation prior to the start of AileyCamp.
- Attend a 3-day mandatory staff orientation (dates in June TBD)
- Office and day-to-day tasks related to AileyCamp
- Manage AileyCamp phone lines including taking messages and returning calls.
- Collect daily attendance
- Assist campers with class content, dance skills, choreography and activities as needed in classes
- Assist in the coordination of activities for campers as needed in conjunction with AileyCamp staff
- Attend all camp classes and activities with an assigned group, (at least 3 days) Monday – Friday between the hours of 8:30am – 3:30pm
- Participate in lunch duty, free periods and general supervision of campers
- Participate as directed on field trip days
- Document AileyCamp with video and photography
- Participate in all rehearsal, preparation and day-of final performance activities as needed to support AileyCamp staff
- Assist faculty members as needed in the creation of the end-of-camp performance materials
- Assist with the final performance day as runners, costumers, usher, etc.
(2014 dates TBD)
To apply for this internship with AileyCamp, please provide resume and cover letter detailing your interest in an internship at Ailey. Please send all materials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org