Senior Director, People, Equity, and Inclusion
Posted September 8, 2021
Salary | Full-Time
The Senior Director, People, Equity, and Inclusion will be a thoughtful problem solver who supports Ailey’s organizational development by building and implementing its people strategy with an eye towards equity and inclusion. The Senior Director will lead Ailey’s initiatives and activities regarding staff recruitment and retention; equity and inclusion; skill building and capacity; and performance evaluation. The Senior Director will also be responsible for providing thought partnership and capacity building to Ailey’s senior leaders.
Moreover, this new position will work in tandem with the recently formed Diversity, Engagement, and Advisory Committee. Comprised of staff from across the organization, the Committee and Senior Director will partner together as Ailey implements recommendations to strengthen its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Senior Director will create the vision for the people, equity, and inclusion function at the Ailey organization. In close partnership with the Executive Director, General Counsel, Human Resources Business Partner, and the senior leadership team, the Senior Director will ensure that this vision is fully aligned with overall organizational strategy, objectives, and values. This vision for people, equity, and inclusion will strengthen Ailey’s culture, foster a sense of belonging, and inspire others to do their best work. This focus on the development and growth of staff, their potential and their pathways, will help Ailey achieve new heights and serve as a powerful example for other performing arts organizations.
Specific responsibilities include:
Partner across teams to build leadership and talent strategy
- Equip senior leaders with the resources and knowledge necessary to manage courageous conversations about equity and inclusion that lead to action and results; as needed, lead these conversations with staff and dancers;
- Expose senior leaders to the most effective and innovative coaching and development practices within and beyond the mission-driven space;
- Facilitate shared learning and communication of best-in-class human capital practices across Ailey while fostering an environment of continuous improvement;
- Help build the capability of senior leaders to proactively attract, develop, and retain the best talent and;
- Support all staff by designing and implementing highly-effective human capital functions.
Foster an inclusive organizational culture and sense of belonging
- Champion and advance the Ailey organization’s equity and inclusion efforts;
- Help shape Ailey’s culture and ethos across departments and teams, with an emphasis on strengthening a sense of shared purpose and belonging across the organization; and
- Partner with the Executive Director and senior leaders to plan and implement initiatives that reinforce Ailey’s core values, with a focus on developing and retaining staff.
Drive Optimal Performance, results, and growth through effective learning, development, and performance management
- Ensure ongoing development and long-term career planning for all staff through practices such as robust goal-setting processes, individual development plans, succession planning, and development of a culture of consistent and honest feedback;
- Offer coaching and support to managers in assessing, training, and developing their teams, with a focus on building development plans that leverage the strengths and assets of staff;
- Help staff and managers improve their expertise and address skill gaps through internal and external learning opportunities for individuals and groups;
- Identify the most pressing learning needs of the organization to support excellence; and
- Support staff by identifying and communicating internal leadership opportunities and career pathways.
Formalize and implement recruiting practice across all internal hiring processes
- Formalize standard recruiting processes for roles at the Ailey organization;
- Promote rigorous selection practices to enable the Ailey organization to continue building a world class team and consistently hire the best talent; and
- Nurture and develop a pipeline of candidates interested in and aligned with the Ailey organization’s core values and culture.
The Senior Director of Human Resources, Equity, and Inclusion will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Strategic and Entrepreneurial Leader: The Senior Director will have an entrepreneurial spirit, with a measurable track record of strong results and an outcome-driven mindset. A proven strategic thinker, the Senior Director will oversee planning and development of human capital initiatives, diagnose critical areas for attention, build consensus, and implement decisive, clear strategies. A catalyst for change and growth, the Senior Director will inspire others to think entrepreneurially and inject new ideas. The Senior Director will have practical experience in communicating change, including those related to changes with systems. The Senior Director will be a proactive, collaborative change agent with the mindset to challenge the status quo. This leader will use a consultative approach that is empowering to Ailey’s community and culture. With confidence and gravitas, the Senior Director will operate with a high degree of transparency and clarity.
- Expertise in Leadership and Talent Development: The Senior Director will bring a proven track record of developing and leading world-class teams with a superior understanding of human capital and talent management strategies. The Senior Director will thrive in an environment with open communication and a commitment to equity and inclusion. An experienced leader with a background in managing significant organizational change, the Senior Director will maintain a thorough, detailed, and wide-ranging perspective on Ailey’s community and culture across departments and geographies. With Ailey’s short and long-term personnel needs in mind, the Senior Director will employ a comprehensive approach to forecasting progress towards goals and achieving sustainable, well-supported solutions. The Senior Director will evaluate and advise on Ailey’s policies and systems concerning equity and inclusion and will have the proven ability to foster and strengthen a culture of continuous improvement.
- Advocate of Equity and Inclusion: The Senior Director will come to Ailey with a deep commitment to equity and inclusion. Equipped with a multi-faceted understanding of the evolving diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) landscape, the Senior Director will help Ailey’s staff develop a shared language to discuss, identify, evolve, and/or dismantle current policies and procedures in support of a more equitable and inclusive environment. The Senior Director will have a thoughtful, empathic approach and will be known as an active listener and responsive leader throughout the organization. A resourceful coach and capable facilitator, the Senior Director will have the ability to motivate others to action, even in the face of daunting challenges. The Senior Director will be energized by the prospect of leading Ailey’s staff in developing awareness, comfort, and confidence to address equity across the organization.
- Relationship Builder and Collaborator: Critical to success in this role, the Senior Director will be skilled at building and sustaining excellent relationships across Ailey. The Senior Director will be a key partner to staff at all stages of their careers, with a demonstrated ability to connect, build bridges, and garner respect. The Senior Director will be inclusive, allowing for the building of consensus and recognition of teamwork. An engaging and supportive leader, this leader will have a track record of motivating and inspiring others to achieve impact through creativity and by leveraging individual strengths to meet organizational goals. It is imperative that the Senior Director fosters an atmosphere of collaboration and partnership across the organization.
- Passion for the Legacy and Mission of the Ailey Organization: The Senior Director will embody the values and mission of the Ailey organization and, as a result, will inspire and motivate others. The Senior Director will treat others with respect and lead by example, understanding that at times, empathy and humor are essential qualities. The Senior Director will have an eye consistently focused on the future and how to best adapt the organization in a rapidly changing environment. The Senior Director will be an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics, and values — someone who can be trusted without reservation. Moreover, the ideal candidate will believe in the power of dance to transform individuals and communities and create social change.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The Ailey organization’s benefits include an employer-provided health/dental insurance, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), retirement plan, and savings on transit/parking.
To apply for this position, click on the apply link below:
No phone calls, please.