Ailey Spring 2016 Internship Opportunities
Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation, one of the world’s premier dance institutions, is now accepting resumes for our Spring 2016 Internship Program. From time to time, the Foundation is able to extend rewarding internship opportunities to outstanding candidates. Please know that we are not able to offer a stipend, housing, or any other type of compensation; we do work with schools so that interns can receive academic credit and interns are able to take dance and fitness classes at the Ailey Extension at no charge. In the past, we have had high school, college and graduate student interns and we have been able to offer experiences in Marketing, Development, Ailey Arts In Education & Community Programs, Finance, Information Technology, Production, and The Ailey Extension.
To Apply: Read the following internship descriptions and provide:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in an internship at Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
- Resume & Contact information of two references
- Availability (start and end dates, days/hours, etc.)
- Please send all materials by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and in the subject line indicate the internship you are applying for (i.e. Interest in Production Admin Internship).
If your resume is selected you will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls or mail submissions please.
General Marketing Intern
The Marketing Department seeks two detailed oriented, high-energy interns to assist us with general marketing related projects. We are looking for a college student who is able to work 2 - 3 days a week.
Responsibilities for the General Marketing Intern include but are not limited to:
- Work with various marketing team members for Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation’s many programs including but not limited to Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Ailey II, The Ailey School, Ailey Arts-in-Education and Community Programs, and Ailey Extension
- Assist with program layout, review, and copy editing
- Generate reports and assist with interviews and content for social media purposes
- Update web & e-blast content
- Assist with basic office administrative tasks
- Candidates should be familiar with basic computer hardware and software including Excel, Photoshop, InDesign, Final Cut Pro, HTML (or the ability to learn editing programs quickly).
- Generate sales reports
- Assist with day-to-day office tasks
Intern applicants should have excellent writing and copy editing skills. Candidates should also be comfortable with patron engagement, a multi-tasker, highly motivated, and thrive in a high-energy, professional work environment. Some marketing/sales experience and knowledge of dance is a plus.
Volunteers Needed for The Ailey Extension Work Exchange Program
Come join the Ailey Extension Team! The Ailey Extension seeks part-time work exchange volunteers for its dance and fitness classes designed for the general public, as well as open classes through The Ailey School.
Team members will be responsible for:
- Registering new students, selling classes to students, and signing students into class
- Distributing class schedules
- Responding to inquiries about classes and techniques both in person and on the telephone
- Reconciling the cash register after shift.
- Serving as a guide for all students.
- Assisting with other special tasks during shift
Team members will earn classes for every four hour shift during business hours, Monday through Friday 9am to 9pm and weekends, 9am to 7pm.
Skills and Experience: excellent customer service skills a must, computer and technologically-savvy; ability to work in a fast-paced environment; knowledge of dance; prior retail experience; and knowledge of MINDBODY software a plus.
All applicants accepted are required to commit 4- 6 months to the work exchange program.
To apply, download an application and mail along with a cover letter and resume to Ailey Staff Coordinator, The Ailey Studios, Joan Weill Center for Dance, 405 West 55th Street, New York, NY 10019 or fax to 212-405-9007. Alternatively, you may fill out the application and email a scanned version along with your resume and cover letter.