Intern & Volunteer Positions
From time to time, the Foundation is able to extend rewarding internship opportunities to outstanding candidates. Please know that we are not able to offer a stipend, housing, or any other type of compensation; we do work with schools so that interns can receive academic credit and all interns and volunteers are able to take classes at the Ailey Extension at no charge. In the past, we have had high school, college and graduate student interns and we have been able to offer experiences in Marketing, Development, Ailey Arts In Education & Community Programs, Finance, Information Technology, Production, and The Ailey Extension. At times we also need help from volunteers. Please review our website to learn more about The Ailey organization and our programs.
Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation, one of the world’s premier dance institutions, is now accepting resumes for our Internship Program.
To apply for any of the following internships, please provide:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in an internship at Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
- Contact information for two references
- Availability (start and end dates, days/hours, etc.)
- Please send all materials by email to email@example.com.
Please know that we are not able to offer a stipend, housing, or any other type of compensation. However, interns receive free Ailey Extension dance and fitness classes. We also work with schools so that interns can receive academic credit.
No phone calls or mail submissions, please.
Summer 2015 Internships
General Marketing Interns (May - September)The Marketing Department seeks one detailed oriented, high energy intern to assist us with general marketing related projects. We are looking for a college student who is able to work 2 - 3 days a week.
Responsibilities for the General Marketing Intern include but are not limited to:
- Working with various marketing team members for Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation’s many programs including but not limited to Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Ailey II, The Ailey School, Ailey Arts-in-Education and Community Programs, and Ailey Extension
- Assisting with program layout, review, and copy editing
- Generating reports and assist with interviews and content for social media purposes
- Updating web & e-blast content
- Assisting with basic office administrative tasks
- Candidates for this marketing internship should be familiar with basic computer hardware and software including Excel, Photoshop, InDesign, Final Cut Pro, HTML (or the ability to learn editing programs quickly).
- Generate sales reports
- Assist with any office and day-to-day tasks
- Intern applicants should have excellent writing and copy editing skills. Candidates should also be comfortable with patron engagement, a multi-tasker, highly motivated, and thrive in a high-energy, professional work environment. Some marketing/sales experience and knowledge of dance is a plus.
In the subject line of your application please indicate “General Marketing Internship.”
Ailey Extension Team Members
Come join the Ailey Extension Team! The Ailey Extension seeks part-time Sales Assistants for its program of dance and fitness classes designed for the general public, as well as open classes through The Ailey School.
Sales Assistants will be responsible for:
- Registering new students, selling classes to students, and signing students into class
- Distributing class schedules
- Responding to inquiries about classes and techniques both in person and on the telephone
- Reconciling the cash register after her or his shift.
- Serving as a guide for all students.
- Assisting with other special tasks during shift
Shifts are in three to four-hour blocks, between 9am to 9pm Monday through Friday and 9am to 7pm on the weekends.
Skills and Experience: excellent customer service skills a must, computer and technologically-savvy; fantastic customer service skills; ability to work in a fast-paced environment; knowledge of dance; prior retail experience; and knowledge of MindBody software a plus. Must be able to commit for at least 3 months.
Compensation: The compensation arrangement is work-hours in exchange for free classes.
To apply, download an application and mail along with a cover letter and resume to Ailey Staff Coordinator, The Ailey Studios, Joan Weill Center for Dance, 405 West 55th Street, New York, NY 10019 or fax to 212-405-9007. Alternatively, you may fill out the application and email a scanned version along with your resume and cover letter.